How to get Clear and Glowing skin

   



 

Clear and dewy skin 101

Everyone dreams about having healthy skin, but are often stuck wandering what to do in order to achieve that glowy and youthful look. What I am going to tell you is not a quick fix... Nothing is quick when it comes to long lasting success and healthy skin and some of the tips I will give might need some time to master. I do want to point out that I have sensitive skin with dry tendencies. Anyways, here are my tricks to keep this skin plump and shiny.


Sunscreen

    Dermatologists are not kidding when they promote the usage of SPF products. Excessive sun exposure is responsible for premature aging and wrinkles, skin cancer (melanoma or non-melanoma), cataracts and other eye damages. Does that mean that we cant go out in the sun ever again? No. There are ways to prevent the bad effects of UV radiation, such as:
  • Wearing hats 
  • Wearing sunscreen everyday 
  • Reapply SPF (2-3hrs)
  • Avoiding peak sun exposure (10 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
  • Check UV levels 
However I do recognize that most sunscreens are overpriced or feel weird on the skin. I have tried a lot of sunscreens so here are some of my favourites: 

Bioderma Photoderm Crème - Sun Active Defense SPF 50+

    This is my newfound fav sunscreen! It has such a light formula that keeps my skin both hydrated and safe from UV rays. The SPF does not feel oily or sweaty at all (which is a major issue for me). The brand itself has made environmentally friendly commitments to make the SPFs formula aquatic ecosystems tested. That means the product, when in contact with the sea, respects its ecosystem and biodiversity. 
    Upon applying, there seems to be a white cast, however, it fades in just a minute for me. I would only be concerned about this sunscreen not working for you if you have really dark skin and don't want to look like Casper.
    At last, this is my holy grail of sunscreens cheap, scent-free and sensitive skin friendly. It has worked wonders for me and I hope it does for you too!


La Roche-Posay Anthelios UVmune 400 SPF50+ Invisivble Fluid

    If you are looking for a feel-like-nothing sunscreen this is it. It is a fluid formula perfect for those who hate having cream on their face with an invisible, white cast-free and 0 grease finish. Recommended for normal, reactive and sensitive skin as it is also scent-free, hypoallergenic and eye friendly. Also great for those who love to swim as it provides with 80 minutes of water resistance. La Roche-Posay is an infamous skincare brand and I believe it lives up to its hype. Although a lot of the products are quite expensive I find this one to be affordable for the uniqueness and quality it has.







Eucerin Sun Face Oil Control Gel-Cream SPF 50+

   
This good boy got me through my acne phase. Did you know that the sun can perpetuate and worsen acne scars as well as hyperpigmentation? I knew I wanted to protect my dear skin from that so I purchased this SPF, probably my first one since I started taking skincare seriously. It is suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skin and comes at a very affordable price. A wonderful choice for if you are a teen on a budget as I often find these at a discount online and at local drugstores. From my experiences, it didn't broke me out or worsened my acne. But I must say, every skin is special and I am no dermatologist. If you have acne that seriously worries you, schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. Remember 90% of teens suffer with acne at some point and it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Eucerin has a broad spectrum of sun protection products, I have tried the ones for sensitive skin and they weren't so good, in my personal opinion. One of the products completely caused a reaction on my skin and the other was simply to greasy and shiny for my taste.

The brand has a sustainability program that highlights their sunscreens being free of microplastics, Octocrylene and others. https://int.eucerin.com/sustainability


These are my recommendations as of today and as a sunscreen lover I would love to get to know your personal favs! If you have any suggestions please contact me via Instagram @maria.bp.avila.

Basic Moisturizer


If your skin just requires moisture and doesn't have any underlying conditions such as acne or rosacea then don't go overboard with skincare ingredients. My worse mistake was to introduce a bunch of actives into my skincare routine at a young age and while my skin is healthy. I get it, having a long and sophisticated skincare routine sounds like a lot of fun, but trust me when I say it can be doing more harm than good. 
This to say, you might benefit from certain actives but do your research or talk to your dermatologist before doing a "skincare soup" since you might end up damaging your skin barrier. 
My sensitive skin loves a simple, fragrance-free, moisturizing routine and my wallet loves not having to spend millions on products. 

Aveeno Daily Moisturising cream

When I tell you I am on the 4th bottle of this moisturizer I am NOT kidding. This is the cheapest and more gentle cream I have ever put in my skin, most suitable for sensitive and dry skin. The formula consists of 15 very basic ingredients (non-comedogenic) and you can apply this both in your face and body. It has a velvety, soft finish that keeps me hydrated all day long.
I don't know how this wonder of a cream can retail at such a low price but the price ranges from 7-10 euros for 2 bottles! I know I couldn't believe it could be anything good until I bought it when I was on a tight budget and it saved my wallet.
Please let me know your experiences with this product if you have ever tried it!



La Roche-Posay Toleriane

This one is also affordable and suited my skin a lot when I used it. The formula is light and watery and I found that it reduced any irritation I had in my skin. It is non-comedogenic and can even be applied to babies skin. 
So, a great choice for if you cant seem to find a moisturizer that your skin tolerates. 









La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo (+)


The Effaclar line is dedicated to acne prone skin and to reduce hyperpigmentation. In the beginning of my skincare journey this was a banger since it helped resolve my breakouts and minimized its scarring on my skin. Also... NEVER PICK AT YOUR SKIN. It will only worsen your barrier and possibly cause infections. 
This cream has a gel consistency and a glowy but non oily finish. The only thing I would change its the fact it has a fragrance, a very fresh one. Regardless of that fact, I had a very pleasant experience with this product.







A Gentle Cleanser


    Again on the basics. I truly hate scented cleansers more than any other product even more those that leave your skin very dry after washing. Unless you have acne-prone skin I would definitely pick a basic and gentle face wash instead of a harsh and fancy named one. 

CeraVe Cream to Foam Cleanser

    I have bought this at least twice, this product loves my skin and my skin loves it back. I overall dig all the CeraVe cleansers but as I wear makeup sometimes I needed one that helped my micellar water do its work. CeraVe has other cleansers that focus more on acne-prone skin featuring ingredients like salicylic acid and niacinamide.
     I once tried the Salicylic acid cleanser from them and my skin didn't react so well, so if you like me have sensitive skin, then do not settle for that one.

 





There are way more cleansers out there that do an amazing job, but as I loved this one I never had the need of searching for another. If you prefer looking into other options I'd certainly recommend K-Beauty brands or for example Cetaphil, also known for having gentle products.

Managing Stress

Now, you don't need any product for this one but it might just be one of the least spoken and hardest to master skincare and overall health aspect. 
Learning how to deal with your own stress is very challenging, I can say first-hand that it has been one of the hardest things in my journey. Working in the music industry while being a student really puts a strain in mentality sometimes and I find that it affects EVERYTHING: the gut, the voice, the skin, the headaches, the hunger cues, muscle tension... 
And I am 100% sure that it is not only me who goes through this. 
My biggest word of advice here is to experiment on what things let you unwind and which cause you stress and stiffness. Like this you can avoid the stress and enroll in truly relaxing activities in your free time. 
One really fun way to find what things you love to do is to look into what you did to enjoy yourself as a child, may that be:
  • drawing

  • painting
  • reading a book
  • hiking/walking
  • cooking
  • fishing
  • sing/play an instrument
  • curating playlists
  • listening to music
  • dancing 
  • making videos
  • photography
  • socializing 
  • meditating
Find time within your week to take off that load, lighten your spirit. I can guarantee it will make everything so much better.
Move your body, engage in your community and living will be way more fulfilling.


Nutrition 

   

The food you eat can affect all the aspects of your health. I think all humans should have basic knowledge on nutrition so we can be sure to give enough nutrients and energy for our body to properly function.

So, if you are having junk food all week and then complaining about having bad skin or other issues I mean... It is kind off predictable at this point. 
A bad diet can be responsible for a number of health issues such as:
  • Being overweight or obese
  • Heart disease and stroke
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Cancer
  • Malnutrition 
So lets all get into some healthy habits! I strongly advise seeing a dietitian/nutritionist in order for you to have a personalized eating program. For instance I have low blood pressure and acid reflux, therefore my ideal diet will be different from yours. Furthermore, factors like age, gender and activity level also play a role when looking for the most adequate diet for each person.
But overall:
  • Drink less sodas
  • Drink more water
  • Don't exaggerate on salt (especially if you have high blood pressure)
  • Eat more veggies
  • Follow the 80/20 rule for balance
  • Don't eat until being uncomfortably full 
  • Enjoy your meal with your mind at rest



And that is all I have for today!

If you want to contact me my socials are right below.

Follow me on Instagram and TikTok for more content like this!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 dicas para se manter ativo durante longos dias de trabalho/escola